Numerical Ability Concepts for IBPS CWE Clerical. IBPS CWE Clerk Exam 2012 Numerical Ability Questions.
o Train A crosses another train B in 30 sec. the length of train B is 140% of the length of train A.
the speed of train A is 72 km/h. what is the difference between the lengths of the two
trains? ans:100 m
o mr. Z spends 24% of his monthly income on food and 15% on the education of his children. he
spends 25% of the remaining salary on entertainment and 20% on conveyance. he is now left
with Rs 10376. what is the salary of mr. Z? ans:Rs 32000
o the average marks secured by Ankit in maths , science and english are 70 and that in history
and english are 60. what are his avg. marks in maths and science? ans: cannot be determined
o the difference between a 2 digit number and the number obtained by interchanging the
positions of its digits is 36. the digit at units place is 1/3rd of the digit at ten's place in the
original number. what is the original number? ans:62.
o in each of the following questions two equations I and II are given. you are required to solve
both the equations and give answers
(1) if a<b (2) if a>b (3) if a>=b (4) if a<=b
a] I. a2=4 II.4b2‐24b+1=0
b] I.6a2‐5a+1=0 II.20b2‐9b+1=0
c]I.5a+7a+2=0 II. 8b+30b+25=0
o manoj invested an amount of Rs 50000 to start a software business. after six months Madhu
joined him with an amount of Rs 80000. at the end of three years they earned a profit of Rs
24500. what is the share of Manoj in the profit? ans: Rs 10500.
o if the cost of gardening is Rs 85 per square meter then what will be the cost of gardening 1.4
metre wide strip inside around a circular field having an area of 1386 sq.m? ans.Rs 15184.40
o the ratio between the incomes of Satish and Manoj was 7:8 respectively. the income of Satish
increased by 20% and that of Manoj was decreased by 10%. what will be the new ratio
between their incomes? ans:7:6
o avg. of five consecutive odd nos. is 61. what is the difference between the highest and lowest
o the difference between a two digit no. and the no. obtained by interchanging the digits is 9.
what is the difference between the two digits of the no.? ans:1
o a circle and a rectangle have same perimeter. the sides of the rectangle are 18 cms and 26 cms.
what is the area of circle? ans:616 sq. cm.
o N number of persons decide to raise Rs 3 lacs by equal contributions from each. had they
contributed Rs 50 extra, the contribution would have been Rs 3.25 lacs. how many persons are
there? ans. 500
o the difference between a number and its three is 50.what is the number? ans. 125
o a tank is filled in 5 hours by three pipes A, B and C. the pipe C is twice as fast as B and B is twice
as fast as A. how much time will pipe A alone take to fill the tank? ans: 35 hrs
o milk contains 5% water. what quantity of pure milk should be added to 10 ltrs of milk to reduce
this to 2%? ans 15 ltrs
o starting with the initial speed of 30 km/h, the speed is increased by 4 km/h every two hours.
how many hours will it take to cover a distance of 288 km? ans:8 hrs
o with a uniform speed, a car covers the distance in 8 hours. had the speed been increased by 4
km/h, the same distance could have been covered in 7.5 hrs. what is the distance
covered? ans.480 km
o if 2a‐b=33, b+2c=1 and a+3c=1, then what is the value of (a+b+c)? ans:34
o if 40% of a no. is equal to 3/7 of other no. and sum of these nos. is 145. which is the larger
number? ans: 75
o the area of a circular field is equal to the area of a rectangular field. the ratio of the length and
the breadth of the rectangular field is 14:11respectively and perimeter is 100 m. what is the
diameter of the circular field? ans.28 m
o in how many ways can the letters of the word CAPITAL be arranged in such a way that all the
vowels always come together? ans 360
o for what value of x the inequality 2x2+5x<3 is satisfied? ans.‐3<x<1/2
o what will come in place of the question mark(?) in the following equation‐
(185% of 240) / (? x 6)=666 ans.4
IBPS CWE Clerical Questions for Numerical Ability
1. A train runs at the rate of 45 kmph. What is its speed in metres per second?
2. Two trains start at the same time from two stations and proceed towards each other at the rates off
20 kmph and 25 kmph respectively. When they meet, it is found that one train travelled 80 km more
than the other. Find the distance between the two stations?
3. A motor car does a journey in 10 hours, the first half at 21 kmph, and the rest at 24 kmph. Find the
4. Two men start together to walk a certain distance, one at 3 ¾ km an hour and the other at 3 kmph.
The former arrives half an hour before the latter. Find the distance?
5. What is the length of the bridge which a man riding 15 kmph can cross in 5 minutes?
6. How long will a train 60 m long travelling at a speed of 40 kmph take to pass through a station whose platform is 90 km long?
7. How many seconds will a train 60 m in length, travelling at the rate of 42 kmph, take to pass another
train 84 m long, proceeding in the same direction at the rate of 30 kmph?
8. A train takes 5 secs to pass an electric pole. If the length of the train is 120 mts, How much time will
it take to cross a railway platform the length which is 180 metres ?
9. Two trains are running in opposite directions with speeds of 62 kmph and 40 kmph respectively. If
length of one train is 250 mts and they cross each other in 18 secs. Find the length of the other train?
10. If a man's rate with the current is 12 kmph and the rate of the current is 1.5 kmph. Find the man's
rate against the current?
11. A boat goes 40 km upstream in 8 hours and 36 km downstream in 6 hours. Find the speed of the
boat in still water?
12. A can row a certain distance downstream in 6 hours and return the same distance in 9 hours. If the
stream flows at the rate of 2 ¼ kmph, find the speed of A in still water?
13. During one year, the population of a locality increases by 5% but during the next year, it decreases
by 5%. If the population at the end of the second year was 7980, find the population at the beginning of
the first year?
14. If A's salary is 25% more than that of B, then how much percent is B's salary less than that of A?
15. The number of seats in a cinema hall is increased by 25%. The price on a ticket is also increased by
10%. What is the effect on the revenue collected?
16. A candidate who gets 30% of the marks in a test fails by 50 marks. Another candidate who gets 320
marks fails by 30 marks. Find the maximum marks?
17. A man sells two watches for Rs. 99 each. On one he gained 10% and on the other he lost 10%. Find his gain or loss percent?
18. The cost price of 16 articles is equal to the selling price of 12 articles. Find the gain or loss percent?
19. A shopkeeper marks his goods 20% above cost price, but allows 10% discount for cash. Find the
20. A dishonest dealer professes to sell his goods at a profit of 20% and also weighs 800 grams in place
of a kg. Find his actual gain%?
21. I sold a book at a profit of 7%. Had I sold it for Rs. 7.50 more, 22% would have been gained. Find the cost price?
22. If goods be purchased for Rs. 450, and one‐third be sold at a loss of 10%, at what gain percent
should the remainder be sold so as to gain 20% on the whole transaction?
23. A tradesman marks his goods at 25% above his cost price and allows purchasers a discount of 12 ½
% for cash. What profit % does he make?
24. Manju sells an article to Anju at a profitof 25%. Anju sells it to Sonia at a gain of 10% and Sonia sells to Bobby at a profit of 5%. if Sonia sells it for Rs. 231, find the cost price at which Manju bought the article?
25. A man buys a shirt and a trouser for Rs. 371. If the trouser costs 12% more than the shirt, Find the
cost of the shirt?
26. Manish travels a certain distance by car at the rate of 12 kmph and walks back at the rate of 3kmph.
The whole journey took 5 hours. What is the distance he covered on the car?
27. Two trains A and B start simultaneously in the opposite direction from two points A and B arrive at
their destinations 9 and 4 hours respectively after their meeting each other. At what rate does the
second train B travel if the first train travels at 80 kmph?
28. A train requires 7 seconds to pass a pole while it requires 25 seconds to cross a stationary train
which is 378 mts long. Find the speed of the train?
29.A and B travel the same distance at the rate of 8 km and 10 km an hour respectively. If A takes 30
minutes longer than B, the distance travelled by B is?